Friday, January 25, 2008

The Gaysian has been otherwise occupied...

Hi all, sorry for the long delay in posting, but it's been a crazy few weeks. Firstly for those of you who are not in the know, I've made an international move for school. I'm starting my first term of veterinary medicine in Grenada. Needless to say the preparations, transition and settling have taken up quite a bit of my time. I am happy to report that for the most part all of this has gone by without a hitch. However, some things of note needs to be stated.

Perhaps the most surprising revelation of all is that the very first person I met is actually another gaysian! It would figure that I would have to move (note: that is move not travel, b/c that would just be too easy) to the West Indies (of all places) to encounter another one of our mystical unicorns. Thankfully, in addition to being a fellow gaysian, she is also quite sane and fun to hang with.

Another amazing surprise is that I am actually liking this quiet little island. While at times a feeling of claustrophobia does overcome me, I like the locals and find the area to be very pleasant. Actually since arriving here I've been incredibly stress free (for the most part). I am tempted to credit this sudden state of languid peace to the "island life".

The last bits of adjustment are to class (it's starting to look like a challenge to get used to the new teaching style and the sheer amount of information they throw at you...) and well finding a community. While it is beyond awesome to have found an ally off the bat it's not quite the same as having the support network of an actual community. While I hear rumours that other queerlings do exist out here (and hang out together!) I have yet to find them. Ah well, the search continues.

No comments: