Saturday, May 2, 2009

Rydyk-culous...

Warning Spoilers Ahead!

Despite my disappointment in the Grey's Anatomy producers and writers in allowing the character of Erica Hahn to so suddenly and conveniently disappear into the proverbial sunset because she was not the "right" (i.e. marketable) gay, I've continued to follow the show. I'm a medical student (veterinary) and so I have an appreciation for that (albeit badly written) aspect of the show and I just love Christina Yang (Sandra Oh). The show is like a trashy romance novel that you don't want your smarty, snarkier friends to find out you read. Well, despite the many errors of the show, I generally try to keep the complaining in my own living room and amongst my friends. However, last night I really was just amazed at the amount of "suspended belief" the writers expect us to execute in order to push forward a story line. Callie (whom I'm kinda ambivalent about to be honest) and Arizona (who apparent is gay in the right way, she just got a regular spot on the show) are now the new budding couple at Seattle Grace. Cue in the drama.

Callie's over-protective father, who feels the best way to deal with his daughter's sudden Sapphic tendency is to remove her from Seattle and have her live with him and his wife in Miami (which I'm sure is the straightest place in the world ::cue eye roll::). Now this irks in a number of ways. The first being that he was more accepting of his daughter marrying some random guy, who she ends up divorcing after a few months because he cheated on her. Or her non-romantic hook ups with the hospitals resident man-ho (Sloan). Somehow those two situations, of which I'm sure any father would take exception to, where more acceptable than the sweet, innocent and what seems so far, as a healthy supportive relationship with a woman (a cute, doctor woman!). Granted her father probably doesn't know the details of any of those relationships and he's supposed to come off as a jerk, but really?

Well apparently Callie standing up to her father has caused him to cut her off from her trust fund. Oh no. What is an ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON to do! A debt free one at that (she stated that her father paid for all of her schooling). Now, she can't even make rent! How will she be able to survive on her measly 401,000 thousand (the average salary of an orthopedic surgeon) a year! Um, no Grey's, while it's refreshing to have a coming out story involving a woman of color and her family on t.v, I have to say her situation does not represent the typical "out on your own" coming out story and no amount of Callie whining about her lack of funds can suddenly make us believe that a show about surgeons are somehow going to be broke because they don't have daddies trust fund to rely on. What? How does that make any sense? And to top it off Callie is an attending or at the very least a late year resident! Sorry, just had to rant about that ridiculousness.

I have to say, I didn't really like Jessica Capshaw's character on the L-Word, but I'm loving her at Seattle Grace. You know what really rock though? Kate Walsh returning back to Greys and Callie...now that's a good looking couple!

No comments: