Monday, November 19, 2007

Bringing back the 90's!

I have to admitt and I do so proudly that I am an addict of HK dramas. Or at least I was when I had the time for them, back in the day. My grandma, mom and every other subsequent chinese female figure in my life had or has been fanatical about these cheesy HK dramas and that penchant for those predictable, low budget and often time shoddily acted chinese tv shows has passed on to me. I've been following TVB (a major Hong Kong television broadcast company) series since I can remember and some of my fondest memories involve hudling around with my grams or mom, caught in mutual amusement or suspense, while "chasing" (canto slang for determinedly watching episode after episode of a series in order to get to the finale) various series.

I had a pretty isolated childhood. A large three family house to run around in, more or less unsupervised, so with only public access tv as my warm winter companion, my young self happily gobbled up all the HK series I could get. One of my favorite memories was creating a blanket fort in the third floor (it was an old forgotten bedroom my aunts used to use, it had the most awesome tacky beach sunset wallpaper) and settling down at night watching my shows. It felt like I was totally removed from the world, but warm and safe at the same time. Some kids have cartoons, I had HK dramas. My favorite genre (and still is actually) were the comedy "ancient" series. If you're Chinese a number of series should pop into your head, if you're not...well sorry I'm too lazy to explain.

This bout of nostalgia was brought on by my cruising crunchy roll looking for a interesting Asian/anime movie to watch. I was able to find some series from the late 90's, but sadly they were all badly dubbed or incomplete. So this lead me to do a torrent search. Once again, no mas. I am sad to say that I may actually have to try and hunt down these series on DVD, as truthfully, I would like to own some of them. Most of them were produced in the mid to late 90's and I'm rather unsure of how Asian DVD companies release them, if at all. The funny part of all of this is that my family mostly rented these series on bootleg VHS from Chinatown.

Well the hunt for them continues I suppose. The trend now are Korean soaps. I can't say that I'm too impressed by them, though, much like other soaps I can get drawn in...still it's not the same. Ahh well, if anyone has any sites for dl or places I can pick any of these old series up do hollar at me.

No comments: