Sunday, December 2, 2007

Gaysian's Top Five Straight Guestbians

I'm sure all of you ladies are familiar with the sensation of watching, reading, or listening to an artist and suddenly thinking "Wow are they really gay? Or...?" And then wishing really really hard that they were. Well here's my top 5 list of various leading ladies that despite the gay roles, ambiguous lyrics or just sheer cuteness I really wish were "gaydies".

1. Zhao Wei and Karen Mok




Aside from my penchant for trashy lezzie romance novels, I also have a secret love affair with equally trashy and often time cheesy Hong Kong movie flicks. I can sincerely say that the times that these two guilty pleasures of mine ever intermingle are few and far between. Though you'd think there would be more of a call for a seriously badass lezzie martial artist, but regardless, I have to say I was merrily surprised and more than a little disbelieving when I came across this film a few years ago.

So Close

Granted a lot of it is subtext, but the director admitted that it was his aim to create an ambigious cop/criminal relationship with the two leading ladies and I can't help but think that they too agree that it was a good idea.




2. Lynn Chen



Lynn Chen was the second half of perhaps one of the most beloved films, Saving Face, in the East Asian lesbian community. I can sincerely say that Saving Face is one of my favorite movies of all time. The story of an awkward NYC based Chinese lezzie who has to deal with a dysfunctional family and all the while try to get the girl in the end. The very hot girl! Lynn Chen plays the confident, sweet and assured Vivian ::sigh::. The scandal! The drama! The Sugar Shock!
Oh and another reason I love her? In an interview, Lynn admitted to having a mini-crush (and subsequently being nervous about meeting her for the first time) on her co-star, Michelle Crusick, after researching some of the films she had been in. So cute!

3. Jennifer Beals



The L-Word, Alpha-Bette, Tibette Shippers...this woman has a tremendous lesbian following...it's not hard to imagine why.

4. Lily Allen


*Note the practical shoes. Hm.

Hate her or lover her, you can't deny that she has charm. She also has a troll of a boyfriend, but has admitted that she would not entirely rule out getting with another gal. She's even admitted to having some naughty dreams of that nature. My advice to you Ms. Allen, is despite losing some material for all those angry break up songs of yours, if you acted out on some of those dreams, it'd be more than worth it ^_~.

5. Shakira



Okay this may be a throw away, but c'mon you gotta admitt, she's got a "bummy" (butchy femme) charm. Oh and FYI I'm calling the term "Bummy" as mine! I have yet heard it be used in common dyke dialouge, so I lay claim to it, ha!

2 comments:

TheHOchieS said...

I didn't have the heart to tell you the other day but will now - Lily's been pegged as dating a new man. While not as hideous, he's about 15 years her senior or something. He is also...a chemical brother.

G. said...

T_T

It's okay, I'm sure it's just a front. Really, 15 years her senior, it won't work out.